Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You can't be lost if you have nowhere to be

We threw the planned route out the window altogether yesterday. We started along the route and thought we might make it to New Martinsville. At some point we ended up in Elkins, which is where I had planned us staying tonight. I had the GPS set on shortest route, which is always fun since we do have the perfect bikes for just about any road. Unfortunately, it also takes a more competent dirt rider than I am to do some of those roads.

Anyway, hard to explain how beautiful yesterday ended up being. We started the day with a pretty steady rain, but after a couple of hours, the rain stopped and the sun started peaking through. Absolutely beautiful.

We crossed the Potomac twice. I wish I had a picture of where we crossed it the second time coming back into West Virginia. It was a toll bridge. I asked the lady how much and she said (imagine heavy country accent) "50 cents for both." Yep, that's right. 25 cents per bike. Seems like a waste of time being there wasn't a line of vehicles. Well, the bridge was interesting. Single lane, wooden bridge. With it being rainy, I was a little nervous riding on the wood planks, which were placed lengthwise along the bridge. The river was probably only six feet under the bridge.

Here are some pictures from the rest of the day yesterday.


I don't know why, but a picture just doesn't actually capture how beautiful the rolling hills and Fall colors are here. Probably because I don't have the right kind of camera. hint hint.

This is one of the "shortest distance" roads with barely enough room for another vehicle coming the opposite direction.

Beautiful Fall day in West Virginia.



Steve is getting ready to turn my bike around on this dirt road, which had some insane pot holes.


Steve is looking at the map. This is about when we determined that we weren't making it to New Martinsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment